Indeed, most of you must have seen cats with tiger-like stripes on their coat because they are among the most common house cats. Generally, these cats are called “Tabby cats,” and many love them for their unique appearance and outstanding personalities.
We have created this post for new feline fanciers who recently fell in love with these gorgeous felines and want to know their personalities. However, we can briefly describe tabby cats as Cute, adorable, cozy, cuddly, and intelligent. Let’s discuss tabby cat personality in detail.
Not a Distinct Breed
The first exciting thing about tabby cats is that “tabby” is not a distinct breed. The word tabby refers to specific coat patterns. Almost all feline breeds can give birth to tabby kittens. Since tabby is not a particular breed, we can’t say that these felines have certain traits.
The personality and appearance of tabby cats mainly depend on the genetics they receive from their parents. However, many tabby owners claim that their felines exhibit some traits that are unique to them. We have summarized such characteristics below.
Unique Appearance (Mini Tigers)
Most people link the word tabby with a leopard-striped coat; therefore, these cats are known as “mini tigers.” However, they exhibit a lot of variation in their coat patterns, depending on the breed they belong.
Tabbies may also appear brown, grey, orange, and black, with markings as spots, whorls, stripes, or bands. Depending on their parent breed and genetics, these stripes and bars can be prominent, thick, or dim and thin. However, five types of markings or coat patterns are primarily seen in tabby kittens named; classic, mackerel, ticked, spotted, and patched.
Some Other Personality Traits of Tabby Cats
- Unlike most cats, tabbies are active felines, always ready to play or have fun with their owners.
- In addition, these cats enjoy participating in different family activities and being around their human families and dogs or other cats in your home.
- Tabbies enjoy sitting in their owner’s lap and being petted and often rub their bodies against the legs of all family members.
- These cats are naturally extroverted and social and quickly become familiar with new homes, family, and strangers.
- Due to their extroverted and social demeanor, they get along with all family members and guests; however, in a group of people, they will let you know who is their favorite person.
- Many tabby owners claim that their feline companions are more intelligent than other types of cats.
- Tabbies are so cute and attention seekers that if you are busy and don’t notice them entering the room, they will continue hovering around you and make you pay attention.
- Despite having such gentle, cool, and friendly personalities, Tabbies sometimes exhibit tenacious, stubborn, or willful behavior. However, this mood switch is usually found in all cats, so we can’t tag this behavior exclusively with tabbies.
Exceptions are Everywhere
Before deciding to adopt a tabby cat, it’s crucial to know that nature’s rule “exceptions are everywhere” is also applied to tabby cats. So your tabby cats may only sometimes meet the characteristics mentioned above. Some tabbies can be shy, introverted, less active, or dislike handling too much.
In addition, since tabby cats are not a distinct breed and can come from many feline breeds, the personality of a tabby cat also depends on the nature and temperament of its parent breed. Furthermore, irrespective of the breed or coat pattern of the cat, the behavior and character of a cat also depends on how good or bad it was treated as a kitten (or by the previous owner).
Suppose you are looking for an active, playful, intelligent, and affectionate companion with an impressive look. In that case, a tabby cat is the right choice. However, buy from a professional breeder who can train and socialize a kitten. A properly trained and socialized kitten makes a great pet.